February 20, 2009

Hands On Museum Squid Dissection and Hissing Cockroach Program

Britany -
On Friday we went to the Hands On Museum for a squid dissection. We paired up into groups of two. I was partnered up with Luke. We looked at the fins. The fins are used for direction. When we looked at the spots, we had to check if they were the same size and shape, but they weren't. The spots are used for camouflage to help the squid blend in to the surface that they are on. After we determined what the spots were for we looked at the tentacles. The squid really has two tentacles and eight arms. On the tentacles there are small suction cups. After that we looked at the mouth. The mouth is my favorite part because we get to look inside the squid to find the beak. The beak is a small tooth that looks like a birds beak. This beak helps the squid chew its food. It also helps the squid to digest because it is hooked on to the esophagus. Next, we looked at the siphon. The siphon is used for swimming. It is used like a jet to suck water in and out of its body. When we cut open the squid we looked at the hearts. A squid has three hearts, and they are all in one area. Then, we looked at the ink. The squid uses its ink to fog up the water around it in order to get away from its enemy. Did you know that the squid has a pen? The squid uses this pen to keep its shape. When we found the ink we were allowed to write with it, but my squid's ink was dried up. When we were asked to find the pen I helped a lot of people find theirs. We were allowed to take the pen, eyes, and the beak home with us. I didn't take any home because I already had a pen at home, and Luke wanted to show his brother, so I he took it all home.

Lizzie -
My favorite part about the squid dissection was looking at the ink sack. We got to write our names on a piece of paper with the ink. I also really liked looking at the suction cups on the end of the tentacles. We used a magnifying glass and then drew a picture of the suction cups.

Mary -
The squid had blue rubber in its veins. It was very stinky, but the got to keep some of the squid parts. I kept the eye, stomach and tentacles. I took pictures with the squid.

Mitchell -
The squid dissection last week was cool and fun. My friend Keegan and I dissected a boy squid, and we saw the beak and the tentacles. My favorite part was the beak. I liked it better this time because I had a partner. The last two times I've done dissection my partner had to leave because they fainted or almost fainted.

Ronnie -
When I first saw the hissing cockroach it looked pretty cool. It was a lot better than dissecting a squid. I learned that a hissing cockroach can walk up walls, and can talk to each other with its antenna. They live in Australia, and they can have up to 50 babies at a time. They have holes in their back which they suck air through, then blow back out to make a hissing sound. Hissing cockroaches are very cool and I am glad I got a chance to learn about them.



No comments:

Post a Comment